I switched from two boards to one
Such successes are pure joy to us! We are extremely pleased to inform that Błażej Ożóg, supported in his sports career by Etisoft, after three years won back Polish Champion title in kiteboarding. He was unmatched in Kite Formula, winning almost all races. He swam confidently, with hardly any mistakes – the experts claimed.
Joanna Heler-Kończakowska talks with Błażej Ożóg – Polish Champion in Kiteborading
You have started your sports career in skiing only to switch from two boards into one. How did you start your adventure with kite?
– My father, Andrzej Ożóg, who practiced windsurfing, instilled me with a passion for water sports. Yet, I started my sports career in skiing. I even won leading positions in national junior competition while representing Gliwice Interschool Ski Club. But then I came to a conclusion that I am not able to win anything more there. So I switched from two boards into one! I started with windsurfing. Yet, I haven’t experienced a real wind in the sails until I grabbed a kite. I must underline here, that Etisoft supports me from the very beginning of my sports career.
In 2016 we frantically cheered for our Olympic sportsmen. Despite such plans, your discipline was missing there.
– It’s a pity that we didn’t use the opportunity to popularize “my” sports discipline. If kitesurfing was the Olympic discipline, we would have many runners for the title, but there may be only one representative. Of course I would fight for classification and then for the medal, hopefully. For now, I am keeping my fingers crossed that kitesurfing is represented during Tokyo 2020 Olympics, it’s not a lost battle yet. Moreover, next year I will be a member of the national team, since I fulfilled all requirements during European Championship.
From the very beginning you’ve been a contestant representing Sopot Sailing Club. Your greatest achievement is…
– Third place on World Championship in 2015. World Championship in China are far behind me as well. To be honest, 21st place turned out to be frustrating and demotivating. Poor wind, lot of waiting, and China itself is not my favourite destination of all. As we say: one journey is over, the next one begins… World Championship was really tiring, especially mentally. Now, I have time to plan further trips also the pleasant ones, I hope. Can’t wait for that!
The discipline you practice is frequently associated with relaxed lifestyle. Beach, sun, exotic places… Verify this impression please, as it turns out that kitesurfing is a tiring and often dangerous activity.
– With sports we do not always have any influence on places and conditions we have to deal with. The same regards kite. There were times when we raced in really tough, dangerous and definitely unpleasant conditions. There were times, when I felt nothing like going for a training, keep the diet or spend hours on trimming and conservation of the equipment. I always managed to force myself into it, though, and I never regretted. I love training and live a sports life and I know that every minute of the training brings me closer to a podium. Nevertheless I experienced a few extreme situations. Let me tell you about the last one, in Finland. We were on Aspo island. This place definitely isn’t right for kitesurfing, but we just had to start and swim down to Turk. We launched from a rocky cliff and with a heavy wind. I have already been in the air, when the wind blew from a different side. The kite folded in half and begin to fall down. I was afraid it would open up again and drag me through the rocks. Fortunately, it didn’t happen and all I suffered from were a bit sore feet. I managed to land in the bushes, from where my colleague helped me to start again. It feels so much better to practice kite at places that are really adjusted and suitable for it.
Right after graduation you moved from Gliwice to Gdańsk and as far, as I know, you rarely visit your home town.
Aren’t you missing it?
– It’s true that I am in Gliwice only from time to time. Always for Christmas, sometimes for holidays, if it’s on my way. I always treat staying in Gliwice as a sort of short vacations, so I am not that water-addict. Moreover, I also stay active while staying here – I ride a bike, jog and practice crossfit.
Have you had any opportunity to use boards produced by our company – Loxee?
– Loxee doesn’t produce typical racing equipment yet, so I cannot use them for professional purposes. But I had an opportunity to swim a freestyle board and I was very pleased. Light, pleasant and easy to take up to the skies. I must persuade Loxee to produce a professional racing board, considering the quality of trick & fun boards Using this opportunity I would like to honestly thank Etisoft for the support I have already gotten.
Thank you for this interview and I may wish you further success.